Saturday, July 2, 2011

You're In My Seat

Just after my wife and I were married we decided to support Buckner’s Shoes for Orphan’s Souls program. A few months after making our first donation we were invited to attend the annual R. C. Buckner Founder’s Day dinner held at a fancy hotel in Dallas. We were excited and felt privileged to be invited to this event.

On the evening of the dinner we dressed up in our finest attire, doing our best to appear sophisticated. When we arrived at the hotel and checked in we were told that we could sit in open seating. As we entered the banquet room it was filled with who’s who. I wanted to get as upfront a seat as possible so after saying a few “hellos” I walked my wife all the way to the front row. I noticed there was no name on the table so I sat down and took a sip of the water at my seat. Moments later a middle aged man walked up to us and informed me that we were sitting at his table reserved for his family and that he was being honored that evening. How embarrassing? I had just taken a sip from the guest of honor’s glass. Immediately my mind went straight to Luke 14:7-11 which says,

When he [Jesus] noticed how the guests picked the places of honor at the table, he told them this parable: “When someone invites you to a wedding feast, do not take the place of honor, for a person more distinguished than you may have been invited. If so, the host who invited both of you will come and say to you, ‘Give this person your seat.’ Then, humiliated, you will have to take the least important place. But when you are invited, take the lowest place, so that when your host comes, he will say to you, ‘Friend, move up to a better place.’ Then you will be honored in the presence of all the other guests. For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”

Each time I go to a banquet I am reminded of that embarrassing event and of Luke 14:7-11. On most occasions and unless I have an assigned table or seat I will now try to wait until everyone has sat down and then fill in at an open table (not wanting to repeat that embarrassing moment). Not every time, but sometimes as a result of waiting I’ve ended up at a much better seat than I might have picked out on my own.

One great example happened to me during this last 82nd Texas Legislative Session in Austin. I was attending a luncheon and was subject to open seating. I waited until everyone at the luncheon had found a table and sat down. While I was still in the doorway entering the banquet room someone asked me where I was sitting and when I told them I had not yet found a seat they invited me to sit at their table. Would you believe I was invited to sit at the head table on the front row along with a state senator, two state representatives, the two guest panelist, and two senior level executives (one from a fortune 100 and one from a fortune 500 company)? As the program portion of the luncheon began the state representative I sat next to went up on stage to make a few opening remarks and introduce the guest panel. During his opening remarks he mentioned me by name and the organization I was with.


As I sat there I thought this is exactly what Jesus meant. Don’t try to exalt yourself by rushing to sit in the best seats. If you do you just might get humbled when you’re told the seat was meant for someone more important than you. Instead humble yourself by allowing others to choose a seat before you do and allow God to exalt you. I learned a great lesson the hard way, but I’ve also experienced the reward of doing it God’s way. Please don’t get me wrong, I’m definitely not holier than thou and I’m not saying that every time you humble yourself at a banquet you will end up with the best seat in the house. (It hasn’t always happened that way for me). But I will confirm that God’s word is true. James 4:10 says, “Humble yourself before the Lord and He will life you up.”

ADDENDUM:
A few months after I posted this blog I was at a luncheon and didn't have an assigned seat. I was standing in the back talking with a County Commissioner and he was about to head toward his seat when he asked me if I had a place to sit. I told him that I did not, but that I typically just wait around in the back for a seat if I'm not invited to a table. (The Governor of Texas was speaking at this luncheon so the room was packed.) The County Commissioner pointed out the only remaining seat in the room which was on the back row so I made my way over to it and sat down. I was literally the last one in the room to take a seat. I sincerely enjoyed visiting and getting to know the people at the table I was sitting at. Then the Governor walked into the room and stopped at my table and introduces himself and starts a conversation. Crazy. It was the one table he stopped at before making his way to his table. If that wasn't enough, the media videoed our conversation and it made the news that evening. (See picture below. BTW - The Governor told me to stay seated.)


Trust God With Your Money

I am grateful to have parents that modeled for me obedience in tithing. After my wife and I married in 2001 we discussed and agreed tha...